SEATTLE – The Seattle Storm suffered its third straight defeat with a 77-66 loss to the Atlanta Dream. Tiffany Hayes scored a game-high 21 points to help end Atlanta’s four-game losing streak. WNBA Western Conference Player of the Month Natasha Howard recorded her seventh 20-point game of the year with 20 points and seven rebounds.
The Storm opened the game with an 11-0 stretch, fueled by nine points from Howard. Elizabeth Williams made the first bucket for Atlanta at the 6:16 mark as the Dream responded with an 11-0 run and eventually overtook the Storm heading into the second quarter.
Atlanta continued to push the pace and outscored the Storm 11-2 as Monique Billings came off the bench for six quick points. The Storm went 1-for-11 from the field until Howard made back-to-back buckets and Sami Whitcomb drove in a layup to give the Storm six points off three Atlanta turnovers. After 20 minutes, Seattle had tallied 24 points to Atlanta’s 32.
Halfway through the third, the Dream had extended the gap to 16 points. Drama ensued late in the quarter as Shavonte Zellous picked up a technical foul and Storm head coach Dan Hughes was ejected from the game after Crystal Langhorne was called for an offensive foul.
After trailing by a game-high 21 points with 3:33 left in the game, Seattle compiled a 12-2 run to finish within 11 of the Dream. Jordin Canadarallied to score 11 points in the fourth quarter, including nine in the final three minutes. After starting the game 0-for-4 from the free throw line, Seattle went 11-of-12 from the charity stripe in the final period.
After six days of rest, the Storm will face the Dallas Wings at Alaska Airlines Arena on Friday, July 12.
KEY STATS OF THE GAME
· Atlanta scored 25 points off 21 Seattle turnovers (a season worst for the Storm).
· After opening the game with an 11-0 run, Seattle was outscored by 22 the rest of the way.
· Natasha Howard recorded her seventh 20-point game of the year and the first since June 16. It was the 10th time that she has held a share of the team lead in scoring.
· Howard finished 2-for-4 from beyond the arc, improving to 5-of-9 from three-point range in her last three games.
· Jordin Canada scored 11 of the Storm’s 28 fourth-quarter points, including nine in the final three minutes.
· Sami Whitcomb tied her career high with four steals, matching her performance against Dallas 8/19/2018. She finished the night with six points, five assists, and four rebounds.
· Nia Coffey sat out the contest due to flu-like symptoms.
· Marie Gulich knocked down her first career three-point basket at the 1:58 mark in the second quarter.
· Renee Montgomery has hit at least one three-point shot in 17 straight regular season games.
· Tiffany Hayes registered her seventh double-digit scoring effort of the season with 21 points. It is her second 20-point scoring effort of 2019.
· With her 11 points, Brittney Sykes finished in double-figures for the seventh time this season. Sykes finished the night recording a season-high eight rebounds and season-high five assists.
· Elizabeth Williams scored in double-figures for the fifth time this season behind 10 points.
· Jessica Breland notched her fourth double-digit scoring effort of the season with 10 points.
· Atlanta finished the night with a season-high 20 assists.
· The Dream are now 14-13 all-time against the Seattle Storm.
The Seattle Storm plays its fifth consecutive game at Alaska Airlines Arena on Friday, July 12. The defending champion will tip off against the Dallas Wings at 7 p.m. PT on CBS Sports Network.