As a countdown to New Year, the Seattle Storm is revisiting some of the most memorable moments of the 2017 campaign, starting with No. 10 on Dec. 22, all the way to the top moment of the season on Dec. 31.
Sami Whitcomb explodes for 22 points in the second half vs. New York on May 26, directing the Storm to an 87-81 win and tying a WNBA record for three’s in a half with six.
WHY IT WAS SPECIAL
- Seattle looked dead in the water vs. the New York Liberty in late May until the entrance of Whitcomb, who set a franchise record for three’s in a half with six and also tied a WNBA record.
- New York’s 10-point lead, its largest of the game, came at 1:48 to play in the third quarter, and at 1:27, Whitcomb connected on her first three, igniting a 12-7 run to end the frame, including a trio of three’s from Whitcomb and one from Sue Bird.
- Seattle’s run continued into the fourth quarter, ending with the Storm taking a 76-74 lead with 7:05 to play on another Whitcomb three, capping a 23-11 run in that span.
- The Storm tied a franchise high with 14 three-pointers, including a 9-for-18 effort in the second half.
- The win marked Seattle’s first win over the Liberty at home since the 2012 campaign.
- Whitcomb was one three shy of tying the Storm’s single game three-point field goal record (7), set by Bird on July
22, 2009 vs. Los Angeles.
TOP 10 TRACKER:
#10: Storm ties WNBA record and sets franchise record for assists (34), sets franchise record for field goals (41) at Chicago.
#9: Seattle defeats Los Angeles, the 2016 WNBA Champions, on July 8 by an 81-69 margin at KeyArena.
#8: Seattle breaks single-game field goal percentage record (61.5 percent) vs. Dallas on July 28.
#7: Jewell Loyd joins the 1,000-point club on May 21 vs. Washington, capping her third-straight game with 20 or more points to open 2017.
#6: Crystal Langhorne goes 9-for-9 vs. Atlanta on July 15, setting a franchise record for most makes without a miss; later scores her 4,000th-career point at Connecticut on Aug. 8.
#5: Sami Whitcomb scores 22 points in the second half vs. New York on May 26, directing the Storm to an 87-81 win and tying a WNBA record for three’s in a half with six.
#4: Dec. 28
#3: Dec. 29
#2: Dec. 30
#1: Dec. 31